Saturday 9 March 2013

Walks And Walking - Cotswolds Walks Deerhurst Walking Route

Walks And Walking - Cotswolds Walks Deerhurst Walking Route


Walks And Walking – Cotswolds Walks Deerhurst Walking Route
This is the first of 2 walks planned during our week in the Cotswolds. We were staying in Corse Lawn, just outside of Cheltenham, and I mapped out a 13 mile circular walking route from our barn at Slad Farm to the nearby village of Tirley and on to The Haw where I joined the River Severn all the up to Odda’s Chapel arching across the Cotswold countryside to join the disused Coombe Hill Canal back to the River Severn and home.
The walk was quite flat and only a little bit muddy which was quite surprising seeing as the River Severn had been flooded quite badly during our recent wet weather and this Cotswold walk took me just under 5 hours to complete. It was a really easy route to follow so I managed to switch off from the world quite easily and let my mind wander as I took in the scenery and glorious River Severn. I packed a waterproof jacket in my rucksack and just had a windproof layer on top of my t-shirt and my trusted Scarpa walking boots on.
Walks And Walking - Cotswolds Walks Deerhurst Walking Route Map
Walks And Walking – Cotswolds Walks Deerhurst Walking Route Map
From Slad Farm I walked up to the road and turned left turning right at the next lane to Hawker’s Farm and the Sandpits. I then followed the lane and pathways all the way to the church at Tirley where I walked right down to the B4213 road to The Haw and crossed Haw Bridge and turned left following the signposts for the Severn Way Path. I walked all the way up alongside the River Severn passing the Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust Nature Reserve until I found a crossroad of pathways signposted Sabrina Way. I turned right here and walked up to Odda’s Chapel, the ancient Saxon monument, where I then joined the lane and walked all the way round to the t-junction where I walked left and followed the road round to the right turning left at the second footpath signpost climbing slowly uphill to the fenced off grassy area.
Walks And Walking - Cotswolds Walks Deerhurst Walking Route - Oddas Saxon Chapel
Walks And Walking – Cotswolds Walks Deerhurst Walking Route – Oddas Saxon Chapel
I kept to the side of the field until I reached The Folly on my left hand side walking all the way along to Redhouse Farm until the pathway ended at a t-junction. I then walked right all the way down to the B4213 road walking left and then right down the next lane all the way down to the end where I continued walking straight ahead over the footbridge and across fields all the way down to the end of the disused Coombe Hill Canal. Keeping to the right hand side of the water I followed the canal through the Coombe Hill Meadows Nature Reserve all the way across until I reached the road where I crossed and walked just to the right hand side of the stream, through the metal gate and straight ahead until I reached the River Severn and the Severn Way Path.
Walks And Walking - Cotswolds Walks Deerhurst Walking Route - Tree By The River Severn
Walks And Walking – Cotswolds Walks Deerhurst Walking Route – Tree By The River Severn
I walked right to follow the River Severn back up to Haw Bridge where I crossed over and retraced my steps all the way back to Slad Fam.

No comments: